Monday, June 1, 2009

Backyard

I've been doing something with the back. I recall Bob Flowerdew's advice in his book the no-work garden, not to do too much at a time. I haven't finished reading this book but have found some good advice. There really is no such thing as a no-work garden but that's besides the point. The point is to make the work you do seem more like fun. If you are breaking new ground, like I am you will enjoy it more if you start on a small scale and you are more likely to succeed.

I started this raised bed last year. I intend to plant a tomato here. I don't think it will grow as well as the ones in front as it is less sunny, but I'm out of room! The majority of plants here are haphazard, the exceptions are the barely visible just planted leeks. Remaining life is giant red mustard, birdseed sunflowers, cilantro, roman chamomile and burnet.
Here's my raised beds. I covered the surrounding ground with shredded bark. It was a weedy, muddy mess. I think that this will be a good spot for things that like it cooler. Currently present are bull's blood beets, lettuce, arugula, peppers, chamomile, radicchio, lemon basil, red russian kale, fennel and corn salad.
Here is a view of the boxes from the other end. I transplanted almost everything from the front yard. It took a few days for them to get over transplant shock. Most have survived.
I've noticed that robins seek out gardens. I think that they've noticed that we often do things that bring worms to the surface, like watering. Framing the robin is some very healthy dandelions, a laundry basket filled with straw that I will plant a tomato in, and a very large sewerpipe that my landlord insists on storing here.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Printamentals said...

It hardly matters whether you want to landscape your yard yourself or if you want to have a professional Aurora Landscaping do the work for you.
Etobicoke Landscaping

Gabrielle Marsden said...

um, I guess this comment could work for somebody in Toronto?