Saturday, June 20, 2009

After the Storm

Our basement's water level peaked at about 3 feet(1 meter). Needless to say, everything is very lush.

My prostrate rosemary is filling out again. I poked an italia pepper in its pot. The small mint pot looks less pale, my tarragon is doing all right and perhaps my yuzu citris will do better this year.
 
A few sunflowers fell over during the storm but I righted them and they seem ok. The black and blue salvia are hummingbird magnets and everything else up there is growing all right.
 
My ground tomatoes are growing up well though they look slightly paler than the box tomatoes. I keep trying to equalize that with fertilizer and a bit of lime. Almost all of my tomatoes have small tomatoes growing now. I am denuding the stems somewhat and reducing their tendency to branch out like crazy. There's a whole lot more going on in this picture. There are 2 varieties of beans, some basil, nasturtiums, kale strawberries,and garlic.
 
I have 2 cabbages that are growing monstrously. It sorta amazes me how many people walk by and ask me, "Is that cabbage?" That's one reason why I feel like I should stay in an urban location, just to set an example and to just help people understand what vegetables actually look like, rather than finding 1-5 acres out somewhere. I am somewhat inclined to take over the small yard of the apartment building next door completely, but I must conquer my back yard first. Alas, it doesn't have the light that the front does. I could grow some wonderful tomatoes next door, and cabbage. I have enough to deal with here.
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

frazzledsugarplummum said...

That cabbage is as beautiful as any flower. The pink and the grey...just lovely. Your plants are looking wonderful...the flood must have agreed with them. One day....hope my garden looks like that.

Gabrielle Marsden said...

You australians have so many more options I get jealous. I fully believe that yours could easily be more lush.

I keep forgetting that you have your winter now, at which point my yard is dead I am slightly sad. It gets down to -20c and sometimes more where I am.

Gabrielle Marsden said...

I just looked at your blog and I see a very, very green future there. Watch out for that pumpkin!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

lol you are funny Gabrielle. In Tasmania,the island state,it can get cold but nothing like that. Where I am doesn't get much below -5C. I used to live in Queensland where you can grow anything anytime. I am really restricted by huge pipes under those beds and along one whole fence. Can't grow trees or anything I am not prepared to lose or move so the Council can have access.On the otherside the neighbours were allowed to build a huge house and retaining wall 2 metres from my house. It is as high as my roof and took out ALL the view and light from my lounge, dining,bedrooms, deck and most of the yard...and I was already tucked into the side of a hill. I console myself with the protection I get in the big windy storms...but sure hope that wall doesn't fall on us! Now they want to sell...Grrrrrrr
I was thinking of borrowing the tree view of the other neighbours
and putting up climbers.